Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Zig Zag Quilt- A- Long Part 1 : Cutting

So most of you don't know but my Grandma White actually bought me a sewing machine for graduation. That summer my crazy Grandma Jo decided I needed to learn how to quilt! (Just what ever 18 year old wants to do right?!) We each made an awesome quilt that looked liked a puzzle and to my surprise by the end of the project I actually loved it!!! And I have been sewing ever since!!!

I have now decided to make a Zig Zag quilt! And I am going to share step by step how to make it so you can make your very own! This is my very first tutorial so if something doesn't make sense or you have any questions please ask!!



Fabric Requirements:
Zig Zags- 2 different fabrics, 2 1/2 yards each
First Border- 3/8 yard
Second border- 3/4 yard
Binding- 5/8 yard (I am using the same fabric for both the binding and the first border so I bought 1 yard)
Backing- 3 yards


Other Supplies:
scissors or rotary cutter
batting
self healing cutting board (optional)
Pins
Matching thread

Before you cut any of your fabric always press them to make sure you are getting an correct measurement!

Cut: all directions based on 40" wide fabrics

First Border- cut five strips 2" by width of fabric
Second Border- cut six strips 3-3/4" by width of fabric

Fabric 1-

For row A :
-cut one square 9-1/4"; cut this square in half diagonally in both directions to make four large triangles. See pictures.
-cut one square 4-7/8"; cut this square in half diagonally only once to make two small triangles





For Rows B-K:
-cut fifteen  9-1/4" squares and cut diagonally in both directions. You won't use all of the triangles
-cut five 4-7/8" squares and cut diagonally only once.

For Row L:
Cut two 9-1/4" squares and cut diagonally in both directions. You won't use all of the triangles

Fabric 2:
-cut eighteen 9-1/4" squares and cut diagonally in both directions. You won't use all of the triangles
-cut six 4-7/8" squares and cut diagonally only once.


There you have it! Happy cutting! I will be back with piecing it together within the next couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment