Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Quilt-A-Long Part 2: Piecing

Now that you have cut all of the triangles (its ALOT I know!) you can start assembling the individual rows!!
First sort the fabric you will need for each row. The key is to label every Row as you sort it. I then stack them in order with Row L on the bottom and Row A on top just to make my life easier!

Row A: (under fabric 1 in the cutting section I specified what to cut for Row A) 
Fabric 1: 2 small triangles and 4 large triangles
Fabric 2: 5 large triangles

Rows B,D,F,H, and J: 
Fabric 1: 5 large triangles
Fabric 2: 2 small triangles and 4 large triangles

Rows C,E,G,I and K:
Fabric 1: 2 small triangles and 4 large triangles
Fabric 2: 5 large triangles

Row L: 
Fabric 1: 2 small triangles and 4 large triangles
Fabric 2: 5 large triangles

Now that you have the fabric sorted you can start pinning! 

Lay out Row A starting with Fabric 1 small triangle, lining up the long side with a Fabric 2 large triangle. Now alternate Fabric 1 and 2's large triangles until you end with the second Fabric 1 small triangle like you started. (The pictures will help I promise!)


(The white is my Fabric 1 and the Teal print is my Fabric 2) Does that make sense? 

Now to the same process with Rows B-L always starting and ending with the small triangles and alternating the large triangles!

(I don't have space to lay the whole quilt out so I like to lay out and pin at the same time.)

Pin your triangles together. When pinning them together offset your corners like in the picture below (not very much though) and it will make sewing/ pressing them SO much easier... I made the mistake of not doing this on my first row. Needless to say I redid it!


Next sew your pinned edges together. All seam allowances are 1/4". 

(If you don't have one of these nifty tools, GET ONE!!! You can slide a piece in the center to your seam allowance and make sure you are sewing a straight line. This is a life saver for me!) 
I did each side separately instead of trying to turn the whole row at the corner.

Once you have it sewn, press your seems flat starting on the back. Make sure the seams are completely open otherwise your seam won't look straight even if it is. Flip it over and press the front.
TADA!! Row A after being pressed! 

Repeat for all of your Rows.
Here is Row A and B after being pressed! You can start to see the zigzags all ready!! 

That is all for now! It should be enough to keep you busy for awhile! I have to piece from Row C on and only after Sloan goes to bed do I have a chance! So it might be awhile before I can post the next step.

Happy quilting!

2 comments:

  1. Hey - LOVE this quilt! So cute! You are so super talented! I have one suggestion (and it has nothing to do with your beautiful quilt). If you want more comments on your post, I'd suggest turning the comments section into a 'popout' that opens a new screen. It makes it easier to read all your posts and comment on them without going back and forth. LOVE your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok! Thanks! I am in LOVE with this quilt already and it is super easy! I told your mom I would help her make one too if you want to join us! :) I might have to ask you how to change that though!

    ReplyDelete